Monday, July 20, 2009

Montreal, Day 3

Today was my first day at the language institute I am at here in Montreal. The building is an amalgam I did not expect. There are 11 floors in total, and the building houses the offices for Korean Newsweek, various lawyers, a Japanese art gallery, 4 restaurants, and a psychology practice. Oh, and a 250 student institute for learning French and/or English.


I am typing this in a computer lab I have access to as part of tuition. There are two Spanish speakers Skyping with abandon in the room with me. I am therefore getting some free Spanish practice by eavesdropping on them. Man, I love Spanish. It is hard to decide whether French or Spanish is more beautiful. I might be one of those folks who land on the Spanish side of this debate -- but I'd equate this finding Penelope Cruz hotter than Eva Green; there's a point beyond which it becomes meaningless to even compare, both are so beautiful.

In terms of the city itself, I am in love. Great food, great cultural events, clean streets, a stunning lake and mountain, and sweet architecture.

Stay tuned for more. In my next post, I promise longish meditations on Voltaire, wasted time, and The Good Life.

No comments:

Post a Comment